Wearing contact lenses isn’t as simple as putting them in your eyes. There are precautions that you have to take to make sure your eyes stay safe when you’re wearing them. Here are the ten commandments of contact lens safety.
1. Don’t sleep with your contact lenses in your eyes. This increases the risk of your eye getting injured or infected.
2. Do not wear contacts while swimming. Water can get trapped underneath tour contact lenses, increasing the risk of infection.
3. Wash your hands before touching your lenses. This ensures that your contact lenses stay clean even when you’re handling them.
4. If you’re sick, do not wear your contact lenses. Being sick lowers your body’s resistances, and wearing contact lenses increases the chances of pink eyes.
5. Do not reuse contact lens solutions. You have to make sure you’re immersing your contact lenses in a non-contaminated solution.
6. Replace your contact lens case monthly. Your contact lens case will accumulate some dirt over time. To keep your contact lenses absolutely clean, you should also replace the case on a monthly basis.
7. Replace contacts when recommended by an eye care specialist. If you keep lenses for too long, protein buildup can cause the lens to harbor bacteria.
8. Do not use contact lenses that fell on the floor or the sink. Assume those are already contaminated.
9. If you see any chips or tears in a contact lens, replace it immediately. Damaged lenses can scratch your eye.
10. Rub your lens with a multipurpose cleaning solution. This will ensure that proteins or debris are brushed off the contact lens’s surface.
Learn more about proper contact lens usage with help from our team. Guilford Eye Center is the leading eye care clinic High Point, NC. Call us at (336) 502-5743, or fill out this contact form to request a quote.