Playtime is a critical part of your child’s physical and mental development. Furthermore, toys and games can be used to stimulate and sharpen their visual skills. To assist you with ensuring your child’s eye health, here are some toys and games that are perfect for every stage of your child’s vision development.
Playtime and Your Child’s Vision Development
Typically, newborns are only able to perceive a blurry sense of light and dark. As they grow and develop further, their vision also progresses, enabling them to carry out complex visual tasks. During these stages of vision development, toys and games can play a vital role of stimulating your child’s visual skills.
It’s highly recommended to bring your child to an eye care center as early as six months old for a comprehensive eye exam. This will help you determine the progress of your child’s visual skills and monitor eye health during these crucial stages of development.
Toys and Games to Stimulate Your Child’s Visual Skills
Here are some of the toys and activities suited for every stage of your child’s vision development:
- 0-5 months – crib mobiles and gyms, squeak toys, rattles, peek-a-boo and patty-cake
- 6-8 months – floating bath toys, stuffed animals, hide-and-seek and storytelling
- 9-12 months – stacking toys, take-apart toys, blocks, cardboard books, rolling a ball back and forth, and storytelling
- 1 year old – bright balls and blocks, riding toys, rocking horse, throwing a ball with them and storytelling
- 2 years old – crayons and markers, toys that will help your child sort shapes and sizes, catch, outdoor play and storytelling
- 3-6 years old – puzzles, pegboards, modeling clay, finger paint, building toys, running, climbing, balance beam, playground equipment and storytelling
- 7 years old and older – active sports, cycling, roller skates, jump rope, remote-controlled toys, target games and more complex building toys
Eye doctors at Guilford Eye Center have many years of professional experience, ensuring you of superior eye care services. We offer a range of services, including family eye care, eye disease treatment and LipiFlow® dry eye treatment among others. Call us at (336) 292-4516, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in High Point, NC.