At Guilford Eye Center, we do more than just provide you with the best contact lenses…
Contact lenses are a great option for many people in need of vision correction. At Guilford Eye Center we know that though it may take a bit of getting used to, and a certain level of maintenance is required, the benefits of wearing contact lenses to correct your vision make it worthwhile.
Lifestyle benefits of contact lenses:
Having bad vision can really cramp your style. It can affect your capability to do and achieve certain things. Contacts can make all those issues go away! Here are some benefits:
- Contact lenses do not get in the way of your physical activities
- Nothing obstructs your peripheral vision, because contacts are placed directly on the eye
- Cause less visual distortion as contacts conform to the curvature of your eyes
- They don’t fog up and are hardly ever affected by weather conditions
- They can be used cosmetically, to ‘change’ the color of your eyes
- Ortho-k contact lenses can be worn to reduce refractive errors for astigmatism, myopia (nearsightedness) ,and hyperopia (farsightedness). They’re usually worn overnight to temporarily re-shape the curvature of your eyes.
Guilford Eye Center Can Help you Learn: What are the Different Options for Contact Lenses?
Our most popular lenses are the daily disposables. The technology on these lenses has improved considerably and are our most versatile and comfortable lens type. These lenses work well for patients of all ages, but are especially popular with teenagers, allergy sufferers, and those who have reduced their lens wearing time due to dryness. They can be used to correct astigmatism, nearsightedness, farsightedness, and some corneal irregularities. Of course, there are lenses suited for everyone’s need and budget. Among them:
- Daily wear lenses, which are the cheapest option. They must be removed at nighttime.
- Extended wear lenses, which must be cleaned at least once a week. They may be worn overnight, although it is not recommended to do so. We now have lenses that allow people to wear lenses safely and comfortably for up to 30 days continuous.
- Disposables, which are our most economical lenses are designed to be taken out at night and replaced on a set schedule, either weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. These lenses come in nearly all sizes and powers. Because you discard them immediately after use, there’s no need to clean them.
- Rigid Gas Permeable lenses, which provide amazing visual clarity and work well for those with unusual or irregular corneal shapes.
Hard lenses are another available option. They’re said to provide clearer vision as compared to soft type lenses. They are also more breathable, which lessens the chances for eye infection. Some may even be worn straight for a week or even a month. If your prescription remains stable, some hard lenses can last for two years or more.
Specialized contact lenses are also available to address specific needs or conditions:
Specialty Contact Lenses/Scleral Lenses
Scleral lenses functionally replace the irregular cornea with a perfectly smooth optical surface to aid in corneal refractive therapy or to correct vision problems caused by keratoconus or by post surgery corneal irregularities. Scleral Lenses also are frequently used when contact lenses are needed after LASIK or other corneal refractive surgery to correct irregular astigmatism.
Multifocal Contact Lenses
Multifocal contact lenses are contact lenses with multiple prescriptions all in one lens. There is typically a prescription for very close objects: one prescription for normal objects viewed at a distance, and then prescriptions for intermediate distances. This setup helps people with presbyopia correct age-related vision problems where the eye can no longer focus on objects up close.
Get Advice on the Right Fit of Contact Lenses. Call Guilford Eye Center today!
Picking the right contact lenses for you will have less to do with the type than with getting the right fit. Guilford Eye Center performs thorough eye exams to make sure that you get a precise fitting. Regular follow-ups help make sure that your contact lenses always remain the right fit.
No matter which type of contact lenses you choose, always take note of proper care as indicated by the manufacturer. Make sure to practice proper hygiene. For your contact lens needs and other questions about eye health, call us at (336) 387-6777.